Ok - so I noticed a request in this months AGW letters page for a guide to servicing the Webley Tempest. I had one in bits a while back and took some photos along the way, so here's how it went:
A couple of years ago, I bought a used Webley Hurricane and the seller threw in a knackered old Tempest that I could "use for spares." Not being the wasteful type, I thought I'd try and bring it back to life.
Here she is as received:
A standard, well-used, beaten-up old Tempest. We've all owned one of these at some stage (haven't we?).
The chronograph showed just how poorly this pistol was:
With a spread in muzzle velocity from 147 - 217 FPS, giving a spread in power from 0.67 ft/lbs - 1.46 ft/lbs, this pistol was firing erratically and was clearly under-powered. The pellets were moving so slowly through the air, I could clearly watch the full flight as I fired them.
Attention was then turned to the barrel and linkage. The linkage was really loose, with loads of sideways movement, indicating either bent pins or enlarged holes. With a pistol this age, it could realistically have been either (or both!).
After knocking out the pins, a quick inspection was all that was needed to see that they were bent. The pin-holes didn't look too bad. The linkage spring, however, was clearly damaged and un-salvageable.
With the gun now down to its component parts, it became clear how much dirt and grime had become ingrained on it during its 30-odd years of life.
I dropped all of the metal internal parts into a diesel bath, and to clean the remaining pieces, I did what any self-respecting home-fettler would do... I waited until my wife was at work and popped them into the dish washer!
Top tip: If you're going to use the dish washer, make sure that the cycle is going to be finished BEFORE your wife gets back from work, and that you actually remember to empty it.
This is what the body looked like when it came out of the dish washer:
The marks were made by the dish washer basket, and were permanent (doh!).
The plastic support pieces inside the grips broke off when I removed them from the dish washer. I don't know if they had become brittle with age, or if it was as a result of the trauma of the wash cycle.
With the pistol stripped, I then went on a shopping spree for replacement parts:
Service kit (consisting of a new main spring, piston washer and breech seal): £40 New set of walnut grips: £26 New fore end (Beeman type, as it was all that was available): £11 Barrel and clamp fulcrum pins, 3 x linkage pins and linkage spring: £10 Trigger adjusting screw and a set of "Power Washers" (be rude not to!) £10
All sourced from either John Knibbs or a well known online auction site!